Samstag, 3. Dezember 2011

AMD 6 Tony

At almost the end of this crazy semester with Orgo (organic chemistry), I started to collect the German names that I have encountered when I was studying chemistry. Actually, when I was learning those reactions and techniques in class, I was already paying attention to the German Nobel Prize winners' names and was trying to pronounce them.

To inspire myself for the preparation of orgo test, I want to have a brief introduction to these renowned chemists:

1902
Hermann Emil Fischer

Hermann Emil Fischer

 in recognition of the extraordinary services he has rendered by his work on sugar and purine syntheses
 
He devised what was called "Fischer Projection" after him, to show the structure of sugars. But I guess my friend who doesn't like drawing this structure wouldn't be very grateful to this invention...


1950
Otto Paul Hermann Diels

Otto Paul Hermann Diels

Kurt Alder

Kurt Alder

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1950 was awarded jointly to Otto Paul Hermann Diels and Kurt Alder "for their discovery and development of the diene synthesis"
Diels Alder Reaction
Well, this is the concept of the experiment that I am going to do next week, best of luck to myself...







1979

Georg Wittig

Georg Wittig(together with Herber C. Brown) "for their development of the use of boron- and phosphorus-containing compounds, respectively, into important reagents in organic synthesis"
Wittig Reaction
One of the reactant, ylide, is obviously mispronounced when we are learning it in English:  /ˈɪlɪd/ or /ˈɪlaɪd/








Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.