Sonntag, 13. November 2011
AMD- John Donnell
I read the Wiki article on Denglisch, I found it pretty interesting in that words are created by fusing German and English. It is a portmanteau of German and English, used in all German and Dutch speaking countries. It is due to the widespread availability of English in technology, travel and advertising. An example- reboot is an English word; expressed in German, it is rebooten. Downloaded is expressed as downgeloadet. Updates is also an English word used in German programming. The "dialect" can even be grammatically incorrect, but still used. Was passierte in 2005? makes sense in English (What happened in 2005?). It does not make sense in German, despite it being printed in newspapers. It doesn't only apply to technology, a "drive-thru"is a common phrase internationally, despite it being an English phrase. This is interesting because Germans are not using their language properly, and yet they use these phrases. I don't really understand why they would use a literal translation of English in German speak. It doesn't make sense to me.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.