Montag, 31. Oktober 2011

Ever since I was little, my dad (who speaks German) and I have been singing this German song. He told me a while ago what it was about, and apparently it's a nonsense song about elephants walking through the woods. For this week's blog entry, I decided to look up the lyrics and figure out exactly what the song is saying, since I now know quite a bit more German than I did when I was 10. Here are the lyrics:

Was müssen das für Bäume sein,

wo die großen Elefanten spazieren gehen,

ohne sich zu stoßen?

Rechts sind Bäume, links sind Bäume,

und dazwischen Zwischenräume,

wo die großen Elefanten spazieren gehen,

ohne sich zu stoßen!

Basically, the lyrics translate to:

What trees are these where the elephants go walking without hitting anything?

To the right are trees, to the left are trees, and in between there's space.

What trees are these where the elephants go walking without hitting anything?

It was fun to try and see how much of the song I could understand without translating it, since it's really quite nonsensical. I knew the general idea of the song, but now I know how to pronounce all the words and what individual words in the lyrics mean! I had fun singing through it, too. My roommate gave me some weird looks while I was singing a German song about elephants.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.