Dienstag, 13. September 2011

Kultur1

Hallo!

I found this article on German culture in America fascinating. I had no idea that such a large percent of the population was of German heritage. I always assumed that English and African American would be the largest, but people of Germanic heritage make up 6% more of the population. In general you don't look at a person and say "oh, they're German," so it's not always easy to see how widespread the influence is. As the article says, they did not set out to create "little germanies" they developed a new and distinctive German American culture. I think it is because of this that German influences are less apparent in modern society.
It was interesting to read about the contributions of German immigrants, both their dedication to developing the land and the cultural movements they brought from Europe. The Turners, Forty-Eighters, and Freethinkers made a significant contribution to society with their organizations, as well as their political movements. I've learned about the revolutions of 1848 and it's now easy to see how the liberalism of the Forty-Eighters was imported.
I think that the Germans were able to have a significant impact on America without being exclusive because they retained crucial aspects of their culture while assimilating in other ways. My own grandfather is an Austrian immigrant, so I'm proud to be part of one of the largest and most influential cultures in America today!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.