Seeing that most of my ancestry is German, the article “How German is American” was very interesting for me. It’s almost a little weird to read about the seven million German-speakers that immigrated to America in the last 200+ years, and to realize that my grandparents were two of those people. My Opa and Oma traveled to the United States in the mid 1940’s. They didn’t know each other when they lived in Europe (my Opa was from Austria and my Oma was from Romania), but met after they both settled in the Chicago area. My father was raised to speak German and English, and even though English is his dominant language, he still understands German very well. I really wish that I had been taught German when I was young too, that way I’d be able to understand my family at our reunions. Even though my Opa and Oma died when I was little, my uncles, aunts, and cousins all speak German when I see them. That's the reason why I decided to take German 101. I’m really hoping that by taking this class, I can improve my German skills so the next family reunion I go to, I can understand what my family is talking about.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.