For this AMD, I decided to look at basic German etiquette and manners because there are so many differences when it comes to etiquette and manners when it comes to different cultures. I thought it'd be interesting and useful to learn these in advance so if I visit Germany in the future, I wouldn't be considered a rude foreigner.
One etiquette in German society it says is to shake hands as a greeting. This didn't seem to out of the ordinary until I read that you should do this with everyone in the group you are being introduced to, including little children. I also learned that it is very important to address someone with their title and their last name like Herr and Frau until they give you permission to call them by their first name. Originally coming from Korea, this was one of the strangest things to me in American culture and I guess German culture now too. In Korea, no way would you ever be allowed to call any adult by their first name. They have more informal ways to say miss or mister but calling someone older than you by their first name is very much frowned upon.
Another interesting etiquette I learned regarded dining was that, it is important to arrive on time but NEVER early and if you are running late by more than 15 minutes, it is important to call them and let them know what is happening. Also they said that after a dining invite, most people send a handwritten thank you the day after to maintain good relationship. I think this is a really good thing. Most people now would use emails and Facebook but in German culture, a handwritten note is emphasized. Also, I thought it would be better to be early than late but I guess it is considered rude to come early to a dining invite.
Wrapping it up with a fun fact. When Germans toast with wine they say "Zum Wohl!" and when they toast with beer, they say "Prost!". Both of these statements mean "good health!"
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.