Dienstag, 13. September 2011

Kultur1 - Matt Simpson

One of the parts in the brochure that resonated with me was the short section on religion. My church back in good ol' Lansing, Our Savior Lutheran (OSL), has what I though was an uncharacteristic amount of people with German heritage. Of a church of about 200 people, almost half of the leadership staff has German ancestry. A few of these members even still speak German in their homes!

Come to find out... " Despite the shift to English, particularly the Lutheran congregations have not forgotten their German roots."(pg. 20)

Reading that sparked a realization, OSL was founded in the early 1900's, which the brochure also said was a major period of German immigration. I don't actually know if it was founded by German immigrants, descendants, or anyone with German heritage, but it seems pretty likely. I guess that'll be the first thing I ask when I head back home.


(This image above very closely resembles a large stained glass cross at the front of the chapel at OSL)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.